A look at the major injuries to key players on Sunday in Week 13:
* The biggest injury story may have been the concussion suffered by Indianapolis Colts right tackle Winston Justice and the ensuing events involving controversial Detroit Lions defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and his teammates. Colts right guard Mike McGlynn told the Indianapolis Star:
“Totally ignorant on their part. … Just childish stuff. We’re all battling out there; I don’t know if the hit was legal or not, but clearly he was hurt, and they’re out there dancing and pointing at him and laughing. Just blatant disrespect. They’re good players, but there’s no room for that. It’s disgusting, really.”
* The scariest injury of the day came on the Seattle Seahawks’ game-winning touchdown against the Chicago Bears. The Seattle Times reported that wide receiver Sidney Rice was knocked out after catching the winning touchdown in overtime. He may have suffered a concussion.
He was in the locker room after the game, and said he knew that he had scored the touchdown before losing control of the ball. ”I definitely knew I was in there,” Rice said. “They just made me stay down because I got a little dinged up there for a second. They made me stay down. They took me off the field, but they knew I was in the end zone.”
* NFL.com reported that Miami Dolphins offensive tackle Jake Long may have suffered a torn triceps muscle, which would probably end his season.
* NFL.com reported Green Bay Packers receiver Jordy Nelson, who has had hamstring problems all season, sustained the same injury against the Minnesota Vikings.
* The Chicago Bears wide receiver Earl Bennett suffered a concussion against the Seattle Seahawks while teammate Brian Urlacher was knocked out with a hamstring injury, according to the Chicago Tribune.
* With Maurice Jones-Drew already out, Jacksonville Jaguars running back Rashad Jennings suffered a head injury against the Buffalo Bills as did wide receiver Cecil Shorts, according to NFL.com.
* The Boston Herald reported that New England Patriots wide receiver Julian Edelman suffered another injury a week after coming back from a concussion. This time it was to his foot that left him in a walking boot after the game against the Miami Dolphins.
* CincyJungle.com reported that cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick suffered a concussion against the San Diego Chargers.
– Bill Bradley, contributing editor