Here are the major injuries suffered by key players during the NFL’s Week 12:
* The Chicago Bears were hit hard by injuries in their games against the Minnesota Vikings, including three players that suffered concussions, according to the Chicago Tribune.
Running back Matt Forte left with an ankle injury, wide receiver Devin Hester suffered a concussion and cornerback Charles Tillman left with an ankle injury. Linebacker Lance Briggs had his right ankle retaped during the second half and was hobbled afterward. They were not the only ones banged up as the Vikings lost tight end Kyle Rudolph and free safety Harrison Smith to suspected concussions.
The rash of concussions for the Bears came in the same game in which quarterback Jay Cutler returned from being out with concussion symptoms.
* The Bears’ situation could be compounded if it is discovered that Lance Louis suffered a head and neck injury. NFL.com reported Vikings linebacker Jared Allen could be fined for the blindside block on Louis after a Cutler interception. At the least, Louis left with a knee injury when he was knocked off his feet by Allen.
“I turned around, he was running to make a tackle and I threw myself into him to make a block,” Allen said, via The Associated Press. “My condolences to him and his family. I never, ever, try and intentionally hurt anybody.”
* The Denver Post reported that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning underwent concussion tests during the game against the Kansas City Chiefs and passed.
* The Kansas City Star reported that Kansas Chiefs running back/wide receiver Dexter McCluster suffered a head and neck injury during the first quarter.
* CSN Bay Area reported that San Francisco 49ers running back Kendall Hunter and Kyle Williams will undergo MRI exams Monday after being injured on the same play. Williams suffered a knee injury and Hunter an ankle sprain.
* Almost a year after Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy suffered a concussion, this year’s starter, Brandon Weeden, suffered a concussion late in the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. McCoy could start for the Browns next week, according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer.
* ESPNewYork.com reported New York Giants running back Andre Brown will likely be out for the season after suffering a broken fibula against the Green Bay Packers.
* It’s not an injury, but NFL.com reported that the Seattle Seahawks could be losing starting cornerbacks Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner to suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs. Both have appealed their suspensions.
– Bill Bradley, contributing editor