NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL, CPSC CHAIRMAN INEZ TENENBAUM JOIN AKRON-AREA YOUTH LEAGUE FOR NEW HELMET PRESENTATION
Event celebrates youth football safety and helmet replacement program
- NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL
- U.S CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION CHAIRMAN INEZ TENENBAUM
- NCAA President MARK EMMERT
- SCOTT HALLENBECK, EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, USA FOOTBALL
- ED FISHER, Executive Director, National Athletic Equipment Reconditioners Association (NAERA)
- MIKE OLIVER, Executive Director. National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE)
- Representatives from the Cleveland Browns, NFL Players Association, Rawlings, Riddell & Schutt
- 125 youth football players from Akron Parent Pee Wee Football League
Youth football players from the Akron Parent Pee Wee Football League will receive their new helmets, following a brief press conference.
These players are among the thousands of youth nationwide who benefited from the youth football safety and helmet replacement program, which was a partnership between the NFL, NFL Players Association, USA Football, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), NAERA, NCAA, NOCSAE, Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association (SGMA), Rawlings, Riddell, Schutt, and Xenith. The effort was initiated by CPSC Chairman Tenenbaum.
Once they receive their helmets, the youth players will participate in a USA Football FUNdamentals football clinic.
The initiative removed helmets that are 10 years old or older and replaced them with new helmets at no cost to the beneficiary leagues. In its first year, the program was piloted in four markets: the California Bay Area, Gulf Coast region, Northern Ohio, and the tri-state region around New York City. The NFL, NFLPA, NCAA and NOCSAE committed a combined total of approximately $1 million to the program in its first year. To learn more, visit www.usafootball.com/playersafety.
WHEN: Saturday, August 4, 9:30AM
WHERE: Roswell Kent Middle School/1445 Hammel St/Akron, Ohio 44306
CONTACT: Clare Graff, NFL, 212-450-2435 firstname.lastname@example.org