While the NFL is dealing with concussion issues proactively, the NBA is getting push back from at least two individuals.
Dallas Mavericks center Chris Kaman suffered a concussion last week during practice. On Tuesday he was vocal about his dislike for the NBA’s concussion program, telling the Dallas Morning News it was a bunch of “crap.”
“It’s the stupidest test ever,” Kaman said. “For so many years in the NBA, they never had to do that stuff, and now they come up with all that concussion protocol (stuff).
“It’s not cool, but it is cool, I guess. It keeps people safe. I just try to do the right things and wait until I can pass the test.”
This is not the first time someone from the NBA has spoken out about the league’s concussion protocol. New Orleans Hornets coach Monty Williams ripped the league’s program when rookie Anthony Davis suffered a concussion early in the season.
“When you’re dealing with the brain, I guess what’s happening in football has affected everybody,” the Hornets coach said. “You treat everybody like they have on white gloves and pink drawers. It’s getting old. But it’s just the way the league is now.” Williams also said: “It’s a man’s game and we’re treating these guys like they’re five years old.”
That tirade cost Williams a $25,000 fine from the league. It hasn’t stopped Kaman from expressing his opinions, though he said he understand the issues involved.
“I’m still having a little headache,” he said. “Hopefully, it’ll progress, I’ll take that test, pass it and hopefully be able to play sooner or later. I’m tired of sitting around. I’d rather be playing, but at the same time I understand there’s a proper way to do things medically to keep people safe.”
– Bill Bradley, contributing editor